Workplace Security Measures
Following is a list of workplace security measures which we should all take:
* Make sure there is a clear view of the counter and/or cash register from outside.
* Keep the restaurant and parking lot as brightly lit as the law allows.
* Report any suspicious persons outside the restaurant to police.
* When there are no customers, keep employees busy, away from the cash register.
* Make sure you’ve posted the address by the telephone for emergency calls.
* Keep an eye on hidden corners, and lingering guests.
* Post signs that inform customers that you have limited cash on hand.
* Keep only small bills in the cash register.
* Use only one cash drawer after dark, and tilt all other cash drawers so that people can see that they are empty.
* Keep all doors to the restaurant locked except those absolutely necessary for guests to enter. There should be primarily ONE door.
* Do not let employees leave work alone after dark.
* Park your car in a place that’s well lighted if you leave after dark.
* Leave valuables at home, and have employees do the same.
* If you are robbed at gunpoint, stay calm and speak in a cooperative tone.
* Don’t argue with the robber.
* Don’t offer resistance.
* Hand over the money. Your life is much more important to us!
* Do not try to stop the robber, or try to be a hero.
* Always move slowly, and explain what you’re doing to the robber.
* Keep your hands in view at all times, and don’t make quick hand movements.
* Never hand money directly to a robber. Place it on a counter in front of him, then step back.
* The robber wants to get the money and run. Do anything you can to aid his quick departure.
* Pay close attention to the robber, noting hair color, eye color, height & weight, moles, scars, tattoos, limp, etc.
* Lock the doors after you’re sure the robber has left.
* Call the police ASAP and call your area supervisor immediately thereafter check to confirm that your guests are okay.
* Do not open the doors until the police arrive, and don’t touch anything the robber touched.
* Once the police arrive, offer them your complete cooperation.