Interviewing: Red Flags of Potential "Problem-Employee"
The best indicator of future performance in a job applicant, is their past performance.
There are many things a manager can do to screen potentially problematic employees. The following is a list red flags to watch for in the interviewing process and on applications, that could be indicators of future problematic behavior:
- Frequent job changes
- Marginal performer
- Victim mentality – blames others
- Is suspicious of other’s motives
- Thinks employer “owes him”
- Moral righteousness
- Few friends or family ties
- Unexplained gaps in employment
- Holds grudges
- Fantasizes about retaliation
- Owns guns or weapons
- History of violence
- Violence in the family or extreme dysfunction